Systems Administrator: Development and QA Systems
SigMast Communications Inc., a wholly-owned subsidiary of Samsung Electronics Canada, develops mobile communications software for the world’s largest telephone companies. SigMast is now accepting applications for a Systems Administrator – Development and QA Systems. This person will be responsible for the information technology systems and services used by our R&D departments.
Ideal candidates will demonstrate they are:
- a detail-oriented person with Linux/Unix;
- self-motivated with the maturity to own and drive problems to their solutions, and embrace innovation; and
- willing to contribute to team success.
This position is based out of our Bedford, NS office, but it may require international travel. Due to our need to support a wide geographic area, candidates who are proficient in a language other than English are encouraged to highlight their linguistic capabilities and any international experience.
- 5+ years of Linux/Unix System Administration Experience
- Demonstrated experience with IP networking including administering routers, firewalls, and network switches.
- Demonstrated experience with VMware suite.
- Degree or diploma in a related discipline.
- Demonstrated abilities to:
- Juggle multiple projects and tasks.
- Make decisions and solve problems while working under pressure.
- Assess problems and propose solutions that efficiently use company resources.
- Communicate effectively in English and prepare both written and oral presentations.
- Highly developed analytical, problem solving, planning, time management, organizational, and change management skills.
- Strong leadership, project management, time management, and problem-solving skills.
- Effective client management skills to manage issues and adapt easily to changing priorities and business needs.
- Knowledge of release management and deployment workflow processes–from development release, through to staging and production deployment.
- Possesses an expert technical understanding of the intersection of development and operations, monitoring and management tools, and deployment processes and tools.
- Possesses high-level understanding in the areas of web application programming, content management systems, APIs, databases, and system designs.
- In conjunction with relevant stakeholders, specifies, implements and provides routine operational support to the servers, operating systems, hardware, and software used in support of SigMast’s software development and quality assurance activities.
- Manages and appropriately escalates delivery impediments, risks, issues, and changes associated with systems.
- Maintains UNIX/Linux Operating System to provide optimum performance and system availability.
- Ensures application software is installed correctly and all current maintenance levels have been applied.
- In conjunction with corporate IT Security, implements computer security best practices. This includes proactively scheduling security patches and implementing access controls.
- Creates and maintains the environment for running server backups and backup systems.
- Works with IT personnel to ensure compatibility with LAN applications and peripheral hardware to provide end users with a reliable and stable working environment.
- Integrates user login/authentication systems with corporate IT systems to achieve and maintain a single unified user id.
- May lead or participate in the evaluations of technological choices (network/hardware-related and technology/code related) by querying providers and providing evaluations of each solution or architecture including ROI/cost evaluations in the present and future implications, limitations, and opportunities.
- Advocates for security and performance standards in the organization.
- Manages operational aspects of development servers, including developing, training in, and validating compliance with procedures and checklists related to disk space usage, monitoring solutions, deployment, conventions, access to the production and development sources, performance monitoring, scheduling and more.
- Identifies trending gaps or issues in the day-to-day performance of all applications and components by reviewing monitoring, alert management, reporting, and process reviews.
- Maintains issue tracking and documentation systems and provides reporting that ensures proper tracking and visibility of issues and projects.
- Identifies technical and process improvement opportunities and socialize/advocate to get them implemented.
- Prepares and maintains accurate project estimates, timelines, project plans, and status reports.
- Participates in postmortems to continuously improve our practices.
- Is responsible for the development of standards and processes for systems operations that proactively prevent problems from occurring.
- Oversees and monitors the development, documentation, and implementation of necessary processes to ensure consistently high performance in all areas.
Compensation & Benefits
SigMast considers competitive salaries as part of an overall compensation strategy. Salary levels are tied to your experience, role within the company, and the general market. Comprehensive benefits are important to attract qualified individuals to SigMast. To remain competitive within the industry, and to ensure that you remain with us, we offer a competitive benefits package that covers your basic medical and insurance needs.
By applying for this position, you are confirming you possess Canadian citizenship, permanent residence status or a valid work permit. SigMast is an equal employment opportunity employer.
Submit an application by email to email@example.com.
We thank you for your interest in working for SigMast. Please note that only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
SigMast helps people connect and communicate in new and powerful ways
SigMast Communications Inc. researches and develops Rich Communication Service (RCS) solutions for mobile network operators around the world. Having developed large‐scale VoIP products and implemented global instant messaging products, the SigMast team has substantial experience in telecommunications development and operations. The organization services a wide variety of global clients with significant expertise in delivering robust, scalable, and highly available telecom solutions.